outie.net Media Portal

Sony MiniDisc Player and Recorders
IllusionX - 10-30-2013 at 11:14 AM

Last topic on this sub forum is 4 years ago..

Anybody still use their MD/Net-MD?

My box of MD has been laying around for quite a while right in my face. I don't use it due to lack of time to manage the songs. But taking the discs out and start listening to music from 13 years ago.. wow! old memories!

A while ago, i've managed to install sonicstage on a windows 7 machine, and the net-MD transfer beautifully.. amazing!

These 4 models are the ones i currently own.. although, the last one is my wife's.. it's Net-MD, which is so much easier to transfer music.

Ikazamay - 10-30-2013 at 03:58 PM

My gf has one in her room somewhere. I preferred iriver my self, still use my U10.

ShogunGT - 10-31-2013 at 08:03 PM

I still have my Panasonic SJ-MR 200. I once let my friend listen to it during lunch. He never figured out how to use the remote control...so he pushed the buttons in an awkward way so those buttons were effed up.

The screen on the main device is a bit funky though...and ever since I won my iPod nano in 2007, I haven't touched my MD player. Like IllusionX said...it takes way too long to manage songs. My MD player had a recording function..but it records like tapes...so you have to sit there the whole time. How far technology has gone.....

IllusionX - 11-1-2013 at 01:15 PM

I'm gonna give one to my son when he's ready to listen to portable music. hehe

GeneralX - 11-3-2013 at 09:47 PM

i think the MD is one of the least future proof products, when MP3 was already in the market

IllusionX - 11-13-2013 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralX
i think the MD is one of the least future proof products, when MP3 was already in the market

Unfortunately, they never thought of putting mp3s on a CD before the MD was invented. Even then, we needed a more portable device.

Flash media was really expensive, while MD discs cost only a few dollars back in the days.

GeneralX - 11-14-2013 at 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IllusionX
Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralX

Unfortunately, they never thought of putting mp3s on a CD before the MD was invented. Even then, we needed a more portable device.

Flash media was really expensive, while MD discs cost only a few dollars back in the days.

but as the R&D department, they should have foreseen that before pouring money into marketing it

IllusionX - 11-14-2013 at 07:58 AM

Marketing? Perhaps that's why we don't see much use of MiniDiscs out side of the Asian market. So i don't think they put alot of money marketing this.

There were only a few outdated models in Canada in 98-99. That's how i got my MZ-R50.

Later, as newer models came out in Asian.. slimmer and better battery life, only crappy models were made available in 2002-2003 in North America.

How many non-asians have you seen with a MD player? I personnaly haven't met anyone.

materia - 2-16-2014 at 06:07 AM

I have the last 2 :) Good memories :D