outie.net Media Portal

Moonlighting on top of full time job
pk_volt - 9-1-2014 at 10:14 PM

Hello,

I'm currently working as a full time employee as a software developer and I have a potential opportunity to work on a side gig as a contractor to make some extra cash on the side.

My full time employment letter of offer did state that I can not pursue any other business without written consent.

Question is, how much can they enforce it? Should I just tell my boss and spin up some bullshit to tell him that it motivates me, and is completely unrelated to the work I am currently doing etc etc?

The major concern is that if I do tell them, they will nit pick any minor performance flaw and blame it on me.

IllusionX - 9-3-2014 at 08:54 AM

I hate it when they do that.

If they want to enforce it, they will. Best is go see your supervisor, and have them remove this from your contract.

eiXo^87 - 9-4-2014 at 10:34 PM

Get paid in cash. It won't be official.

Arashi - 9-5-2014 at 10:16 AM

One problem with this is that if the side job you're working on gets really big and it's discovered that you were working on it while you were employed in your FT job, that could cause a lot of issues.
This is the case in my current job, I've had a couple of people quit because they were working on their own thing but since they were employees at the time of working on the app/software, the company can take ownership of the software due to that.