nyczrob
Superior

Deleted: 2
Rate: +
Points ($): 499

Mood: bleh

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Asus Eee PC

K im pretty sure you guys have heard of this, just incase for the people who havent, where have you been?
I just the 4gb model with 512 RAM(upgradable) and I am pretty satisfied with it. Its cheap and efficient which is why these babies are selling like hotcakes. I believe these are going to be one of the top selling product for xmas. The only problem I have with this is that it doesnt support memory stick, only SD, and the keyboard is pretty small (but you will get used to it),
Its running on customized Xandros linux but you can put win xp on it at the cost of buying an external usb dvd drive. :blink: But hey, the xandros is not bad....well i only use this for class lectures not got gaming so theres no need of such a os. If you do install xp however, you will need to upgrade your ram. Just a warning, xp will eat up more battery and the Eee only has on average of 3 hours. BTW, asus has announced that a windows xp version will be coming out early next year if you want to wait, and of course it will be a bit more pricey.

Oh yea..did I mention it boots and shuts down in under 15 seconds!!!

Here are the specs:

Attachment:
Filename: 6175-asuseeepc.jpg - Filesize: 52.08kb

Attachment:
Filename: 24539.jpg - Filesize: 237.33kb

Attachment:
Filename: asus_eee_pc.jpg - Filesize: 30.32kb

Attachment:
Filename: ASUS_Eee_PC_4.jpg - Filesize: 11.97kb
nyczrob
Superior

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote

here are the specs

Attachment:
Filename: eee-pc.jpg - Filesize: 17.72kb

Attachment:
Filename: eeespecs.jpg - Filesize: 249.55kb
Vk_
Posting Freak

Deleted: 28
Points ($): 676

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote

i dunno man my friend got the same laptop last month i tried it out for a few days cause i ahve same class as her

but ya overall i thought the laptop was shit the fact that it ran on lunix suxed balls already i noe it can run xp but that prolly kill the harddrive space lol since its only FOUR GIGS!!! liek wtf is that even my mp3 player has more then that

it was also soooo inconvenient for note taking in class and i noticed myself half the time having to squint my eyes just to see if i typed something right on the screen

the 512 ram was definetly enough for the computer to use since u can barely run anything on it which mad it easy to turn on shut down load documents etc as well its a bit pricy for the specs as well my friend got hers for aroudn for 480 i believe...ur buying for convenience in my opinion
dun get me wrong the laptop isnt bad it definetly does the job but after use for a while ur not gonna be satisfied with it and ur gonna want a real laptop
nyczrob
Superior

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Vk_
i dunno man my friend got the same laptop last month i tried it out for a few days cause i ahve same class as her

but ya overall i thought the laptop was shit the fact that it ran on lunix suxed balls already i noe it can run xp but that prolly kill the harddrive space lol since its only FOUR GIGS!!! liek wtf is that even my mp3 player has more then that

it was also soooo inconvenient for note taking in class and i noticed myself half the time having to squint my eyes just to see if i typed something right on the screen

the 512 ram was definetly enough for the computer to use since u can barely run anything on it which mad it easy to turn on shut down load documents etc as well its a bit pricy for the specs as well my friend got hers for aroudn for 480 i believe...ur buying for convenience in my opinion
dun get me wrong the laptop isnt bad it definetly does the job but after use for a while ur not gonna be satisfied with it and ur gonna want a real laptop

yea i understand why you think that way. Sure it doesnt have great amount of memory, but you can get a 8gb SDHC to expand it. For me, I bought it for convenience...i rather carry this because i dont like carrying my 7lb laptop to class everyday (yea im that lazy). The Eee is also very small which i can just bring it to class without a bag and just hold it in my hand. I can manage typing up my notes with this, but for some, i understand that it is difficult, especially even if you have big hands.
JiNuWiNe

Deleted: 6
Points ($): 1403

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote

Uh, if your main purpose for this mini laptop is to take notes during class, that would be a huge problem with that tiny keyboard. I mean, for $400.... spend a little more and get a REAL laptop that is small. I have a 14" HP, got it for $650 with good specs. I think the N800 > the Eee.
pk_volt

Deleted: 7
Points ($): 855

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by JiNuWiNe
Uh, if your main purpose for this mini laptop is to take notes during class, that would be a huge problem with that tiny keyboard. I mean, for $400.... spend a little more and get a REAL laptop that is small. I have a 14" HP, got it for $650 with good specs. I think the N800 > the Eee.

I agree that it'd be pretty difficult to type notes with the EEE. If I were to buy one, I'd only use it to throw it on my bed and chat on msn, watch youtube videos/music and minor work.

What I really hate about regular laptops is weight. Especially for Engineering where you have to lug around so much stuff with you. The battery life most likely won't last you throughout the day, so you'd need to bring a charger on top of that.

That's why I'm hoping to score a tablet PC to do notetaking all in one device.
babysky

Deleted: 1
Points ($): 2099

Mood: PSN : Wayme

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote

I might get one, anyone know where I can get one In Montreal?
magicdud

Deleted: 0
Points ($): 6220

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote

What happened to the good old method of taking notes with a pen and paper? lol:scratch:
Seriously though, I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather spend a little more and get a better Asus laptop.
j1mmy
Big Man

Deleted: 9
Points ($): 3380

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote

the Eee looks pretty good, but for big guys like me, they're basically a piece of crap. i bet my hand is as big as the laptop itself. bad thing is that it has less space than my phone, and the battery life is very low. 3 hr battery life, thats prob just basic programs, such as ms word. if i was to watch youtube videos or listen to music, im pretty sure i'd only get about 1.5hrs at most. but if u got cash and like to make a investment on this, i'd say go ahead.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member j1mmy's Aim Send Points ($)
-skyline-

Points ($): 2125

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote

if you want something small with a long battery life for taking notes in class get a Windows Mobile PDA with a bluetooth keyboard. it has word, excel and powerpoint. sure as hell lighter and more portable than any sub-laptop and will last 6-8hrs of pure note-taking with recording usage. I got one with Wifi, GPS and a VGA 3.5" screen (read as 4x the number of pixels minus the widescreen in the iphone). Expanded it with a 4GB SD card (newer models could handle SDHC 8GB+ cards). Plays videos and mp3. More importantly, it can remind you of your appointments and classes! Oh did I mention PDAs are instant on?

personally, i think the only reason why the Eee PC is partly successful is because of it's price when compared to normal laptops. but the Eee PC's merits are outdone by the PDA market as well. The only device that I believe is worth getting is the HTC Tilt (pda/vista pc/phone in one), but even then it's slightly big to carry around wtih you ALL the time like a true PDA.
eraser_rx
Coordinator

Points ($): 1819

Mood: decomposing

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 03:01 AM Reply With Quote

hm....at $400....is not that cheap....i can get a laptop HP pavilion with Athlon 64 x2 for $600....

ppl will argue about the size......but i can argue about the processor, a full athlon 64 x2 vs a celeron mobile.....and a lot more other features.....

i loved gadget....but think of it.......gadget is just something you want to show off......really useful?.....i doubt it....

"I already gave my best, and I have no regrets at all." - William Hung

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1807/userbar169799uk1.gif
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member eraser_rx's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
B0000rt
Premium Member

Points ($): 839

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by eraser_rx
hm....at $400....is not that cheap....i can get a laptop HP pavilion with Athlon 64 x2 for $600....

ppl will argue about the size......but i can argue about the processor, a full athlon 64 x2 vs a celeron mobile.....and a lot more other features.....

i loved gadget....but think of it.......gadget is just something you want to show off......really useful?.....i doubt it....

Heck, if you shop around or wait for sales, you can get a Core 2 Duo Notebook for $600. I wanted the extended battery so I paid $650 for my 14.1" Dell E1405 that came with 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD, Wifi, DVD burner etc.
Crimsoneyes
There is only do, or do not.

Points ($): 3305

Mood: There is no try.

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote

compared to my W5 - it's just a little smaller in size and the specs on the W5 is ALOT better...

Considering the price yeah maybe but why the hell would you spend that kind've money when you can buy like a compaq that 10x better and just a little bit heavier?
omega
----------------------

Deleted: 5
Points ($): 8355

Mood: z(`.' )s -psshh

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote

rumor has it that apple is coming out w/ a sub-notebook soon...

probably won't be $400 though

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Send Points ($)
projeckd
Premium Member

Points ($): 0

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote

eee pc with ubuntu 7.10 and compiz-fusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRP8fPcaSzI&e
MightyMan
~_O

Deleted: 7
Points ($): 1484

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote

wow looks cool
i'm looking around for laptops for uni next year, and i'll prolly check this one out

im just worried if i'll be able to navigate through the linux...
maradori

Points ($): 9298

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by -skyline-
if you want something small with a long battery life for taking notes in class get a Windows Mobile PDA with a bluetooth keyboard. it has word, excel and powerpoint. sure as hell lighter and more portable than any sub-laptop and will last 6-8hrs of pure note-taking with recording usage. I got one with Wifi, GPS and a VGA 3.5" screen (read as 4x the number of pixels minus the widescreen in the iphone). Expanded it with a 4GB SD card (newer models could handle SDHC 8GB+ cards). Plays videos and mp3. More importantly, it can remind you of your appointments and classes! Oh did I mention PDAs are instant on?

Which PDA is yours, an Eten Glofiish?

Personally, the best way for me to learn is the pencil and notebook method. I did buy myself a TabletPC because I thought it would be better (for me, it wasn't). If anyone's looking for a laptop for note-taking, try the Asus R1 series
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member maradori's Aim maradori's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
-skyline-

Points ($): 2125

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 03:19 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by maradori

Which PDA is yours, an Eten Glofiish?

Fujitsu-Siemens N560. Bought it two years back. The best VGA screen (sharpest + brightest) I have seen. It lacks the phone + camera function that convergent pda phones nowadays have, but that also means I can watch movies and really use up my battery without worrying that I need to make/receive a call. It also means, I can get a separate phone with a decent camera in it (most cameras built into pdas are pretty crappy).

But yeah, I have a laptop as well, but since I got my N560 pda, the laptop has just been collecting dust (it's used as a wireless print server now). I don't even bother bringing the laptop on holidays. At home I simply use my trusty desktop. So yeah, I don't see a reason why I would buy a sub-laptop device like the Eee PC.
asianbaby

Points ($): 2732

Mood: ^____^

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote

the Sony U1 is pretty small too..it weighs a little more than a pound
eraser_rx
Coordinator

Points ($): 1819

Mood: decomposing

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by projeckd
eee pc with ubuntu 7.10 and compiz-fusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRP8fPcaSzI&e

this is inevitable :P but 1.5 minutes to boot up...it's kinda slow....

linux is too smooth man.....but the only problem i have is....i keep messing around with the hacks....it's been 5th time i have to do a clean installation...

"I already gave my best, and I have no regrets at all." - William Hung

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1807/userbar169799uk1.gif
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member eraser_rx's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
Digg! Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top