Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: egg yolks are good for you..
Ads
Sponsor

Your Ad Here

normandy1942
Posting Freak

Deleted: 29
Rate: +
Points ($): 4466

Mood: 3 years on outie

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
egg yolks are good for you..

The truth about egg yolks

Many people throw away the egg yolk because they think that's where all the nasty fat and cholesterol is. This is a perfect example of how confused most people are about nutrition.

In a world full of misinformation, somehow most people now mistakenly think that the egg yolk is the worst part of the egg, when in fact, the YOLK IS THE HEALTHIEST PART OF THE EGG!

By throwing out the yolk and only eating egg whites, you're essentially throwing out the most nutrient dense, antioxidant-rich, vitamin and mineral loaded portion of the egg. The yolks contain so many B-vitamins, trace minerals, vitamin A, folate, choline, lutein, and other powerful nutrients... it's not even worth trying to list them all.

In fact, the egg whites are almost devoid of nutrition compared to the yolk. Even the protein in egg whites isn't as powerful without the yolks to balance out the amino acid profile and make the protein more bio-available. Not to even mention that the egg yolks from free range chickens are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. Yolks contain more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, and B12, and panthothenic acid of the egg. In addition, the yolks contain all of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K in the egg, as well as all of the essential fatty acids.

And now the common objection people get all the time when they say that the yolks are the most nutritious part of the egg...'But I heard that whole eggs will skyrocket my cholesterol through the roof .' No, this is FALSE!

First of all, when you eat a food that contains a high amount of dietary cholesterol such as eggs, your body down-regulates it's internal production of cholesterol to balance things out. On the other hand, if you don't eat enough cholesterol, your body simply produces more since cholesterol has tons of important functions in the body.

And here's where it gets even more interesting...There are indications that eating whole eggs actually raises your good HDL cholesterol to a higher degree than LDL cholesterol, thereby improving your overall cholesterol ratio and blood chemistry.

And 3rd... high cholesterol is NOT a disease! Heart disease is a disease...but high cholesterol is NOT.

So hope we've established that whole eggs are not some evil food that will wreck your body... instead whole eggs are FAR superior to egg whites.
Also, your normal supermarket eggs coming from mass factory farming just don't compare nutritionally with organic free range eggs from healthy chickens that are allowed to roam freely and eat a more natural diet.

I recently compared eggs I bought at the grocery store with a batch of eggs I got at a farm stand where the chickens were free roaming and healthy. Most people don't realize that there's a major difference because they've never bought real eggs from healthy chickens... The eggs from the grocery store had pale yellow yolks. On the other hand, the healthier free range eggs had deep orange colored yolks indicating much higher nutrition levels and carotenoids.

So next time a health or fitness professional tells you that egg whites are superior, you can quietly ignore their advice knowing that you understand the REAL deal about egg yolks.

One more thing about eggs... I read a study recently that compared groups of people that ate egg breakfasts vs groups of people that ate cereal or bagel based breakfasts. The results of the study showed that the egg eaters lost or maintained a healthier bodyweight, while the cereal/bagel eaters gained weight.
It was hypothesized that the egg eaters actually ate less calories during the remainder of the day because their appetite was more satisfied compared to the cereal/bagel eaters who would have been more prone to wild blood sugar swings and food cravings.

Spread the news. Liverpool FC is going to win the league title this season. Believe.
Panda
Poonage

Deleted: 2
Points ($): 5562

Mood: bored as fuck

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote

...dont tell me you got this from the mail lol
did you check it? link? :P

just to make sure

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
QingTian

Deleted: 8
Points ($): 1425

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote

+rep for spreading truth.
neoguy16

Points ($): 132

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote

i agree
high chlolestrol is not a disease and heart diseases are diseases
but a buildup of chlolestrol leads to many health related diseases, heart disease!

sam.
IllusionX
Yaris Owner

Deleted: 0
Points ($): 11715

Mood: $_$

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote

fibres are your friend. not cholestherol. com'on guys..

Toyota Yaris Sedan w/ Aero Package
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member IllusionX's Aim IllusionX's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger IllusionX's Yahoo Send Points ($)
Yang

Deleted: 1
Points ($): 2522

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote

just as a heads up, raw eggwhite contains avidin, which also has a a toxic property if you consume too much of it.

My Baby:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D
PSU: Antec Quattro 1000W
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe
CPU: Intel Q9550 OCed to 3.95 GHz
Cooling: Apogee XT, Feser one x-360, MCP655, Ultra Kaze 2k, NZXT Sentry 2, etc
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reapear PC 8500 DDR2 (2GBx4)
Graphic Card: Sapphire 4870x2 (790/950 OC)
Keyboard: G15 V2 or Saitek Eclipse 2 (Depend on my mood lol)
Mouse: Razer Mamba
Akimichichoji

Points ($): 481

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote

alright, enough bickering, lets see some references...
journal articles or something.
lbrother28

Deleted: 6
Points ($): 16462

Mood: bored

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote

you are making so many claims about the benefits of egg yolk, but you don't mention any sources to back up your argument. Tell us where all this information came from and maybe will believe you.
IllusionX
Yaris Owner

Points ($): 11715

Mood: $_$

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote

i don't know, but i would trust wikipedia about the yolk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_yolk

Quote:
A large yolk contains more than two-thirds of the recommended daily limit of 300mg of cholesterol.

that's why it's been said that no more than 2 eggs a day. That's why i always eat 2 eggs 1 yolk.

Toyota Yaris Sedan w/ Aero Package
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member IllusionX's Aim IllusionX's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger IllusionX's Yahoo Send Points ($)
silv3rr

Points ($): 14

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote

Oh come on people. The poster's Normandy, it's obvious he plucked that out of his inbox.
Yang

Points ($): 2522

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote

his source is: http://annna.net/2008/08/24/the-truth-about-egg-yolks/ nice job ripping off other people's work without giving them credits.

My Baby:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D
PSU: Antec Quattro 1000W
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe
CPU: Intel Q9550 OCed to 3.95 GHz
Cooling: Apogee XT, Feser one x-360, MCP655, Ultra Kaze 2k, NZXT Sentry 2, etc
Ram: 8GB OCZ Reapear PC 8500 DDR2 (2GBx4)
Graphic Card: Sapphire 4870x2 (790/950 OC)
Keyboard: G15 V2 or Saitek Eclipse 2 (Depend on my mood lol)
Mouse: Razer Mamba
jun.nee
바보

Points ($): 80284

Mood:

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by normandy1942

Many people throw away the egg yolk because they think that's where all the nasty fat and cholesterol is. This is a perfect example of how confused most people are about nutrition.

In a world full of misinformation, somehow most people now mistakenly think that the egg yolk is the worst part of the egg, when in fact, the YOLK IS THE HEALTHIEST PART OF THE EGG!

By throwing out the yolk and only eating egg whites, you're essentially throwing out the most nutrient dense, antioxidant-rich, vitamin and mineral loaded portion of the egg. The yolks contain so many B-vitamins, trace minerals, vitamin A, folate, choline, lutein, and other powerful nutrients... it's not even worth trying to list them all.

In fact, the egg whites are almost devoid of nutrition compared to the yolk. Even the protein in egg whites isn't as powerful without the yolks to balance out the amino acid profile and make the protein more bio-available. Not to even mention that the egg yolks from free range chickens are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. Yolks contain more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, and B12, and panthothenic acid of the egg. In addition, the yolks contain all of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K in the egg, as well as all of the essential fatty acids.

And now the common objection people get all the time when they say that the yolks are the most nutritious part of the egg...'But I heard that whole eggs will skyrocket my cholesterol through the roof .' No, this is FALSE!

First of all, when you eat a food that contains a high amount of dietary cholesterol such as eggs, your body down-regulates it's internal production of cholesterol to balance things out. On the other hand, if you don't eat enough cholesterol, your body simply produces more since cholesterol has tons of important functions in the body.

And here's where it gets even more interesting...There are indications that eating whole eggs actually raises your good HDL cholesterol to a higher degree than LDL cholesterol, thereby improving your overall cholesterol ratio and blood chemistry.

And 3rd... high cholesterol is NOT a disease! Heart disease is a disease...but high cholesterol is NOT.

So hope we've established that whole eggs are not some evil food that will wreck your body... instead whole eggs are FAR superior to egg whites.
Also, your normal supermarket eggs coming from mass factory farming just don't compare nutritionally with organic free range eggs from healthy chickens that are allowed to roam freely and eat a more natural diet.

I recently compared eggs I bought at the grocery store with a batch of eggs I got at a farm stand where the chickens were free roaming and healthy. Most people don't realize that there's a major difference because they've never bought real eggs from healthy chickens... The eggs from the grocery store had pale yellow yolks. On the other hand, the healthier free range eggs had deep orange colored yolks indicating much higher nutrition levels and carotenoids.

So next time a health or fitness professional tells you that egg whites are superior, you can quietly ignore their advice knowing that you understand the REAL deal about egg yolks.

One more thing about eggs... I read a study recently that compared groups of people that ate egg breakfasts vs groups of people that ate cereal or bagel based breakfasts. The results of the study showed that the egg eaters lost or maintained a healthier bodyweight, while the cereal/bagel eaters gained weight.
It was hypothesized that the egg eaters actually ate less calories during the remainder of the day because their appetite was more satisfied compared to the cereal/bagel eaters who would have been more prone to wild blood sugar swings and food cravings.

and no, not saying the article is misinforming, its just funny seeing that line in a post made by normandy
wizxzit
YO WTF BRO

Points ($): 4030

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by jun.nee
Quote:

and no, not saying the article is misinforming, its just funny seeing that line in a post made by normandy

hahah good one. but isn't it obvious already that the yolk is the best part? And yes I included its taste.

PSN ID : Wizxzit
Byakuya
[Banned]

Points ($): 6476

Mood: Easy Breezy

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by jun.nee
Quote:

HAHAHAHA the irony! So normandy you quoted a source... and how credible is that source?

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/1600/shoujomah2dy.jpg
Advanced
Carpal Tunnel Imminent

Points ($): 3631

Mood: -_-''

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote

dam i love the egg yolk . . dammit i love eggs!

i try to have at least 2 a day for breakfast!

maybe next time i'll drink it raw like rocky balboa! :headbang:

World Rally Blue
lbrother28

Deleted: 6
Points ($): 16462

Mood: bored

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Advanced
dam i love the egg yolk . . dammit i love eggs!

i try to have at least 2 a day for breakfast!

maybe next time i'll drink it raw like rocky balboa! :headbang:

....EGG FEST!! well, I guess this post did its job. I am going to my kitchen right now and boil 2 eggs and eat both of those yolks. HA!
philpalm

Points ($): 142

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote

Hmm, good if you can buy free range chicken eggs. Things have changed where chicken farmers raise the chickens on better diets.

Nonetheless a lot of people do need fiber in their diets because of excessive diets in fatty foods (i.e. fried foods). Another source of good fats is flax seeds that is now being sold at health food stores and Walgrens.
pr3ciouzboi

Deleted: 9
Points ($): 4596

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote

overall though getting egg shots are usually bad for your health due to samonella. That is the reason why people say to wash your hands after you are making eggs.
Davidkae

Points ($): 0

[*] posted on 8-4-2009 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote

Egg yolk just tastes good. Who cares about the cholesterol. haha
oxy5

Deleted: 4
Points ($): 77

[*] posted on 10-18-2009 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote

why does it really matter if egg yolks are good/bad?
platradiant

Deleted: 2
Points ($): 143

[*] posted on 1-14-2010 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote

you dont really need to put up references for common sense
jsamchok

Points ($): 50

[*] posted on 4-8-2010 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote

i think it's important not to overdo it... if someone is eating 12 egg whites in the morning, they don't need 12 egg yolks... they can just eat 2-3 egg yolks with like 10 egg whites...
PlaneShooter

Points ($): 24

[*] posted on 4-17-2010 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote

if you eat it in moderation egg is great for you.
Digg! Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top