Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Has the strike in Toronto gone too far?
Ads
Sponsor

Your Ad Here

bnardd
dazed

Deleted: 3
Rate: +
Points ($): 20165

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Has the strike in Toronto gone too far?

Personally, I think that the unions have gone too far on this strike..far enough that the strike has possibly cause the death of a man who waited for way too long for an ambulance that he died.

link to story is posted below:

EMS Reponse Time Questioned in Man's death
1n_c0mplete
and yet another school year begins....

Deleted: 3
Points ($): 1211

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote

the strike may have caused the guy's unfortunate death, but i dont think that's the root of the problem. i mean, the city had way more than enough time to avoid the strike all together...talks started early in the year, but the mayor did jack shit. and kept pushing it further and further til the union snapped.
and now hes still doing jack shit. lol shows how much he gives a shit about toronto ==
thank god i live in richmond hill lol, feel sorry for you toronto ppl xP

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7789/splitframe00gif7qu8ev0a.gif
chichilzz

Deleted: 0
Points ($): 515

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote

unions are the death of a country, especially when you spoil them.

they say unions are made to protect workers, but that's bullshit, workers don't need to be protected if they do their work properly.
takashinippon

Deleted: 15
Points ($): 3915

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote

some occupation really shouldnt have union... like come on EMS??? wtf, thats emergency unit! its not like a school or something
IFearNoobies
Pokemon. Ash

Deleted: 17
Points ($): 8422

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote

their a bitch and they're ruining everything.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4575/ifearnoobiessigocopywx2.jpg
credit goes to aFFiliation for siggy
Helscreamer

Deleted: 5
Points ($): 216

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote

What is the union fighting for again? Don't they want the ability to have sicks days carry over to the next year??

That's bullshit, that's like planning to be sick...

Canada already has laws to protect workers, it's called labour laws.
POOMANN
Ninjaa c:

Deleted: 2
Points ($): 2011

Mood: vroom vroom

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote

it's kind of funny that most strikes take place in toronto...
i don't think there was any major strike in thornhill, markham, richmond hill... its only toronto.
In a recession like this, the should be happy that they have a job. I'm sure those people who got laid off in the automobile plants would love to work again.

http://card.mmos.com/psn/profile/i-/c/I-cemann/card.png
I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun
-Thomas A. Edison
eraser_rx
Coordinator

Points ($): 1819

Mood: decomposing

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote

i don't know how everything started or what the union was asking for....

if they are asking more money and more benefits, then F off....there are far too many unemployed ppl looking to work at much lower salary....

"I already gave my best, and I have no regrets at all." - William Hung

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1807/userbar169799uk1.gif
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member eraser_rx's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
MonkeySlayer
Resident Spammer

Deleted: 19
Points ($): 7430

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote

the reason why toronto is broke as shit and is always lobbying the provincial and federal government for more money is bad management (thanks miller) and crazy ass monopolizing unions that strike every freaking year for more goodies to add into their contracts. fire them all and hire private contractors, same with the TTC plz.

PS. look at the automakers to see the excellent results that come from overpowered unions.

NERF INC.
POOMANN
Ninjaa c:

Deleted: 2
Points ($): 2011

Mood: vroom vroom

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by eraser_rx
i don't know how everything started or what the union was asking for....

if they are asking more money and more benefits, then F off....there are far too many unemployed ppl looking to work at much lower salary....

exactly~ why they don't just fire those workers now and hire the ones that acutally want to work like the laid off autoplant workers. I'm sure they might not like the work environment but hey, its a job, your get paid, why not work.

http://card.mmos.com/psn/profile/i-/c/I-cemann/card.png
I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun
-Thomas A. Edison
Kurogashi
Tenshi

Deleted: 13
Points ($): 29775

Mood: DessertS

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote

i always thought EMS was an essential service and that they arent allowed to strike? and they get certain packages decided by a judge of some sort who views both parties...

the strike doesnt concern me too much. the only thing is that they used one of the basketball courts that i play on as a dump site. that kinda ticked me off lol..

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3237/brsss2.png
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
Vk_
Posting Freak

Deleted: 28
Points ($): 676

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote

they are allowed to strike but they choose not to because its an essential service
and the family of the guy that died is full of shit he was prolly gonna die anyways the ems people even said they came within a reasonable time period ...

but i still think the strike is dragging on too long too fuking their getting a 7% pay raise and their still not satisfied like wtf greedy motherfuckers
IFearNoobies
Pokemon. Ash

Deleted: 17
Points ($): 8422

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Vk_
they are allowed to strike but they choose not to because its an essential service
and the family of the guy that died is full of shit he was prolly gonna die anyways the ems people even said they came within a reasonable time period ...

but i still think the strike is dragging on too long too fuking their getting a 7% pay raise and their still not satisfied like wtf greedy motherfuckers

wasn't it 6?
1% this year
2% next year
3% the year after next o.o
thats their offer that i saw awhile ago
but their like askin for 3% every year or some shit
correct me if i'm wrong.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4575/ifearnoobiessigocopywx2.jpg
credit goes to aFFiliation for siggy
maradori

Points ($): 9298

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote

blame city council; if they cut their cost-of-living pay increases for this year, that would give them the public support and moral authority to demand the concessions that they want

but instead, only some councillors are "donating" their pay increases to charity (why else, for tax credits). we elect them as civic leaders and this is the leadership they provide?

union's at fault too ... that sick day bank system should be scrapped (or reduced), but if the councillors keep getting pay increases, so should the workers.
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member maradori's Aim maradori's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
Azn_Demon

Points ($): 185

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the reason for the strike is that they want their sick/vacation pay to be cumulative over their work period. Meaning that someone who works for 15 years can claim 15 years of vacation pay when they quit/retire. Again correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that's what they're striking for. If it is this, i find it completely ridiculous and they should be happy to even have a job. Unions are the reason why companies go under.
MonkeySlayer
Resident Spammer

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Azn_Demon
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the reason for the strike is that they want their sick/vacation pay to be cumulative over their work period. Meaning that someone who works for 15 years can claim 15 years of vacation pay when they quit/retire. Again correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that's what they're striking for. If it is this, i find it completely ridiculous and they should be happy to even have a job. Unions are the reason why companies go under.

the maximum number of bankable sick days is, to my knowledge, 200 or 600. what the city wants to do is stop this stupid bullshit.

they're trying to force people to cash in their sick days or use them up, and for new union members not allow them to bank such a ridiculous amount, basically they want to scale back the bankable sick days program. the workers are pissed cause the people who have been saving are gonna lose out on alot of the sick days they've been saving.

i was talking to a friend of mine who is a teacher, he basically saved 400 sick days and right before he retired he took a year off and got paid for it, then cashed in the rest of his days for $$ when he retired. BS?
Kurogashi
Tenshi

Deleted: 13
Points ($): 29775

Mood: DessertS

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote

do doctors get to go on strike lol

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3237/brsss2.png
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
MonkeySlayer
Resident Spammer

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurogashi
do doctors get to go on strike lol

they have associations but i don't think they're unionized.
QQ
Audiophile

Deleted: 4
Points ($): 2985

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Vk_

when was 25 min for a high priority emergency reasonable?
it should have been 9min

the EMS is full of shit
the obvious result would be they blaming the family for not letting them know its a high priority or some shit like that

there's a reason they dun wanna comment on it and shit and 'say' it aint strike related
EVEN if it aint strike related
how is a guy having a heart attack with a gash on his head not high priority and not coming at a 'reasonable' time..
what the FUK was happeningat 11pm at night that there was so much traffic that caused them to come late

i think in TORONTO or any metro city would have shit like this happening

murdered on scene and cannot save the guy
FINE

guy dying and coming to the rescue in over 10min of time...?
wow
what if YOU had a heart attack and u fucking died
them come late and shiet
ur kids gonna be saying, its alright they came at a reasonable time?

bullshiet

and part of the EMS is within the union
but part of them are on contract to become an essential service
thats why those who are working are PISSED OFF
since they wanna strike too but CANT
i just couldnt believe EMS is NOT an essential service

like u have doctors, firefighters and police as essential
but the guy driving the patient to the hospital seems to be FUCKING EXPANDABLE

maradori

Points ($): 9298

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 04:30 AM Reply With Quote

regarding the EMS being so slow and that guy dying ... i smell a lawsuit coming up ...
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member maradori's Aim maradori's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
FretPlay

Deleted: 1
Points ($): 99

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Vk_

EMS is not considered an essential service in Ontario (insane I know). However the EMS in Toronto have an essential service agreement with the city stating that during strike times, they must still keep staff levels at 75%.

I can't imagine how you would believe 25 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to respond to a high priority cardiac arrest victim. There is an ambulance station very close to that address, not 5 minutes away.

This will likely be blown over by the unions and city. The least they could do is perform an autopsy to determine whether EMS could have saved his life if they had gotten there sooner.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
QQ
Audiophile

Deleted: 4
Points ($): 2985

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by FretPlay
Quote:
Originally posted by Vk_

EMS is not considered an essential service in Ontario (insane I know). However the EMS in Toronto have an essential service agreement with the city stating that during strike times, they must still keep staff levels at 75%.

I can't imagine how you would believe 25 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to respond to a high priority cardiac arrest victim. There is an ambulance station very close to that address, not 5 minutes away.

This will likely be blown over by the unions and city. The least they could do is perform an autopsy to determine whether EMS could have saved his life if they had gotten there sooner.

agreed
only 75% is there and most of them are pissed off tards who thinks everything aint an emergency by them

most likely there is not gonna be a fair trial or autopsy... even if there is an autopsy, most likely the coroner is gonna rig everything since they are close to EMS (im assuming, hopefully everything will turn out right and FAIR)

but thats why in my previous post i question how 25 min is considered a reasonable time for a guy having a heart attack

ridiculous? i know...

Chi

Points ($): 306

Mood: -_- zZz...

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote

oh dang, this is bad.

up to now, i thought Toronto only had problems with garbagemen on strike.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member Send Points ($)
Digg! Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top