Your Ad Here

Ben

Deleted: 2
Rate: +
Points ($): 249

Mood: Pretty Cold

[*] posted on 11-8-2009 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
[HoN]Heroes of Newerth Vs. [DotA]Defence of the Ancients

So I don't know about you guys, but I only learned this recently. HoN is the new game coming out with everything that DotA has and does not have. If you guys check out the heroes and map layout, you will see a total similarity between HoN and DotA. So I'm wondering what you guys think, you think we should move on from DotA to this new game? I mean the graphics is more advanced than the old WarCraft III engine, and there are a couple of features that help disconnected players reconnect back into the game, but why the hell is it like a extreme duplicate to me?! I just feel that DotA deserves more than being copied and then applied to a different game title. Anyways tell me what you guys think.

Attachment:
Filename: user3_pic1524_1248732852.jpg - Filesize: 389.83kb

Attachment:
Filename: ba4d8c1614f012bbx.jpg - Filesize: 300.83kb
yugrudfoo
Gangster

Deleted: 51
Points ($): 2262

Mood: Gangster

[*] posted on 11-8-2009 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote

HoN is 1 game, WarCraft has a lot more then just Dota imo

http://tabris.eternityro.org/firmas/star.gif

PSN- yugrudfoo - [SVER]
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member yugrudfoo's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
Purpose
me >>>> you

Deleted: 19
Points ($): 4978

Mood: meh

[*] posted on 11-8-2009 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote

HoN's heroes are fucking ugly as fuck
DreamProductions

Deleted: 15
Points ($): 221

Mood: Money??

[*] posted on 11-8-2009 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote

^ you mean like, look wise?
The graphics itself is alot better then Dota.....
Game play is better also and everything works better because its JUST Dota. As compared to WC3 which has everything.

HON > Dota now anyways. Its over till SC2 comes out :)
howard22
Living internationally

Deleted: 3
Points ($): 3040

[*] posted on 11-8-2009 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote

HoN and Dota were both developed by IceFrog

So to answer ur question Ben, yes they are the same, but with better graphics engine

Egalitarianism is merely an illusion.
hastyle

Deleted: 4
Points ($): 649

[*] posted on 11-8-2009 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote

HON is to Dota like Street fighter 4 is to street fighter 2

all the same hero/characters we know and love (or accustomed to)
in a similar format
with updated looks / and features

I've play demigod it sucks compared to dota imo, but only because it didn't feel enough like a Dota game to me.

LoL (league of legends) is pretty good, playing this atm Free btw

and yes i've stopped playing dota, waiting on starcraft2
Panda
Poonage

Points ($): 5562

Mood: bored as fuck

[*] posted on 11-8-2009 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote

everything is the same really, heroes and stuff but there are some unique heroes and some combined from skills of each, not all of them are exact copies from dota

and the servers and general system is much better, like how your profile scores works etc
and i like the shopping window as well, the recipes just leads to another window with the items needed, much more easier to access.

and yes its supposed to be the same, although theres another map which only have 2 lanes, in essence its just still dota. and unlike demigod (which i didnt like cos the pace is too slow) which is a 'dota inspired game', HoN is a 'dota based game' which means its supposed to be pretty much the same

atm, HoN > dota definitely

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
SoSIorI
Ahh~ Fresh Meat

Deleted: 5
Points ($): 3505

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by howard22
HoN and Dota were both developed by IceFrog

So to answer ur question Ben, yes they are the same, but with better graphics engine

actually, icefrog had nothing to do with hon lol
hon devs just ripped the code and copied the game
it just has better graphics and shit
balancing is fucking horrible
hon devs know shit all about balancing n shit
haven't played in a while but im guessing its still in beta testing, and i don't really wanna pay 30 bucks (when it becomes official) for a game that i already have lmao
ill stick with my dota

Andy214_1982

Deleted: 1
Points ($): 1990

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote

Technically, I'm not sure if you can even call DotA a game?
It was a map created with Warcraft World/Map Editor. It's a Warcraft with custom campaign or whatever you want to call it; in the end, it's still Warcraft III.

When I 1st heard about DotA and people were like talking about it as it if were some new game from Blizzard or Warcraft III Expansion; when I see it, then I found out it was just "another" map and I've played before other type of similar map before (Tower Defense?), they're just not as famous as IceFrog version. Some of my friends didn't even knew anything and I explained to them it's just a custom made map using WarCraft World/Map Editor.

There're still other custom maps/campaign maps which are really great but they lack the popularity unlike DotA which is pretty simple, straighforward and many people plays it, of course, the map/AI/etc is done well (compared to other similar type). There's even those that tries to simulate World Of WarCraft style, giving you 3rd person view and so on, very hard to do with the camera pan, scan, and especially one of the maps allows you to use keyboard movement to control the character in 3rd person mode, the guy have to use 3rd party script to do it. All these was very very long ago, even when DotA wasn't famous or I'm not even sure if it were available yet.

The Boss wouldn't be allowed to come back home alive. And she wouldn't be allowed to kill herself. Her life would be ended by her most beloved disciple... That was the way the government wanted it. That was the mission she was given.
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
atomicduelist

Deleted: 0
Points ($): 1707

Mood: I dont want, I need a GF!!! LoL

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote

lol just buy the valve dota when it comes out itll be SOOO much better LoL

;) The Man ;)
three29
c h l o e .

Deleted: 10
Points ($): 4230

Mood: studying mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy214_1982
Technically, I'm not sure if you can even call DotA a game?
It was a map created with Warcraft World/Map Editor. It's a Warcraft with custom campaign or whatever you want to call it; in the end, it's still Warcraft III.

When I 1st heard about DotA and people were like talking about it as it if were some new game from Blizzard or Warcraft III Expansion; when I see it, then I found out it was just "another" map and I've played before other type of similar map before (Tower Defense?), they're just not as famous as IceFrog version. Some of my friends didn't even knew anything and I explained to them it's just a custom made map using WarCraft World/Map Editor.

There're still other custom maps/campaign maps which are really great but they lack the popularity unlike DotA which is pretty simple, straighforward and many people plays it, of course, the map/AI/etc is done well (compared to other similar type). There's even those that tries to simulate World Of WarCraft style, giving you 3rd person view and so on, very hard to do with the camera pan, scan, and especially one of the maps allows you to use keyboard movement to control the character in 3rd person mode, the guy have to use 3rd party script to do it. All these was very very long ago, even when DotA wasn't famous or I'm not even sure if it were available yet.

well if that is true, then i assume you dont consider Counter-strike or team fortress a game either? Counter-strike started as a mod for half life, and all they did was change the objective of the game and make their own map. How is dota different from this, other than that blizzard made it a lot easier for programmers to make maps? First person shooters were very popular before counterstrike came out, does that mean its not a game in its own right?

your arguements makes no sense

I think you are underestimating the amount of work it takes to code a game like dota. calling it just a "map" isnt doing the game justice. Its the coding and concept and execution of the programmers that made the game the success it is today.

cola
iHappy

Points ($): 617

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote

HON had permission from ice frog when developing

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/greenjellypaperplastic/tech.jpg
shizi
sc2

Points ($): 1105

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote

its been out for a while.. in closed beta.
ever since i started playing hon i havnt touched dota... its that much better
nunieboy

Points ($): 285

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote

playing hon is nice... but to me it feels different from dota.... personally i still play dota over hon....
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member nunieboy's Aim Send Points ($)
ulzimate
N00b

Points ($): 10

[*] posted on 11-16-2009 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote

They really aren't the same game, even though one is based off the other. You could think of it as like the comparison from Super Smash Brothers Brawl to Melee. You have many of the same characters, and some new ones in Brawl, and although it looks like the same game (albeit better), they aren't the same game.

Like Brawl, HoN offers much better multiplayer. The "game outside the game", like in the chatroom lobby or the game lists, are much cleaner and far more efficient than Warcraft III. The community panel is much more useful, there is an actual scoreboard and leavercount per player, and everything, just like how a DotA league would record stats. However, this applies to public games as well, not just league games, so every single game you play counts. There is also the reconnect option, so if you disconnect or ragequit, you have time to rejoin the game and no harm is done. Voting is integrated into the game, so you can remake, forfeit, and much more.

However, when you get ingame, that's where I find that DotA is superior to HoN. I'm just personally used to all the small quirks, bugs, and features of DotA, and they're what I think make the game. The courier is better in DotA, skills aren't all forced to be QWER, some heroes are easier to last hit with than others (they're all extremely easy in HoN, and I think it puts everything on too even of a playing field), yet heroes are still balanced skillset-wise or utility-wise, and much more. However, I quit playing HoN two months ago, so much of this could have changed. It could be said that it's like comparing Melee, where you have to learn techniques like wave dashing, SHFFL, short hop lasers, to Brawl, where players don't need to learn much and play on a much level playing field (except Metaknight is broken, of course).
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member ulzimate's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
Pillsbury

Points ($): 751

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote

I think the fact that there is significant less leavers in Hon already qualifies it to be the better game.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member Send Points ($)
Crimsoneyes
There is only do, or do not.

Points ($): 3305

Mood: There is no try.

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote

^
Exactly.
See when playing HoN it keeps a count. Quality games. Yes there is the occasional noob that will ruin your game, but at least there is a concede option.
The whole thing about DotA was that the leavers is unbearable. No banlist protection bullshit - and you can't have 752397502 accts to your name in HoN While Bnet will keep allowing you leave on separate accts.

HoN has a much easier buying system, the graphics are extremely detailed, the heroes are cooler, the game play is faster which makes lane control more balanced than anything.
Personally, HoN is an amazing game and i'm glad Icefrog gave them permission... But what I think is that when LoL comes out (developed by Guinsoo, the original creator of DotA Allstars), Icefrog will probably switch to HoN and Dota will be scrapped entirely.

That's just my opinion and that's what I think they will do.
Jin
Posting Freak

Points ($): 3391

Mood:

[*] posted on 12-20-2009 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Pillsbury
I think the fact that there is significant less leavers in Hon already qualifies it to be the better game.

that's why you play TDA games instead of public games
but then again iunno how TDA are like now a days
before however TDA game rarely have any leavers

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7663/2006forumbanneryg9.jpg
JLin@outie.net
45cent
N00b

Points ($): 20

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote

after you play HoN for while trying to go play dota is kinda painful, it dota is so slow compared to hon. once u get used to it hon is better
hotcha

Points ($): 170

[*] posted on 5-3-2010 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote

I think HoN is harder to control than dota, my eyes hurt after playing hon, but hon graphics are way better.
DoubleX

Deleted: 3
Points ($): 1127

[*] posted on 5-20-2010 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote

HON is more of a well made engine than Dota, because Dota just uses warcraft engine which does not offer much, HON has better pings because the games are hosted by servers and which will not cause delay, and the ranking system will keep noobs off your toes and play good game all the time

I am currently training Acrobatics, so i can jump higher.
Digg! Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top