Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Electricity Probem - Main Breaker/Fuse (residential)
Ads
Sponsor

Your Ad Here

pr3ciouzboi

Deleted: 9
Rate: +
Points ($): 4596

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Electricity Probem - Main Breaker/Fuse (residential)

Hi Friends,

to go straight to the point, Main Breaker keeps on tripping to the off position)

yesterday, I got myself a portable AC unit, plugged it into an extension cort (3 plugs). Everything was working fine until my other room mate came home and turned her unit on (only on dehumidier). Mine was on full blast AC. 5 seconds later, the power went off.

I went down to the Fuse box (breakers), and tried to push back the breaker that jumped to the off position. Still no electricity. That is for my and her room. everywhere else in the house 1st floor, electr. was still working.

The girl later on turned on the main AC unit in the house while I was trying to figure the issue with the breaker. (15 AMP). While the main AC was still on, I slowly worked my way down and show down all the other breakers that were on the ON position to turn them OFF. right after that, repeated that process but to the back on the ON position. All breakers stayed at the on position besides of the MAIN bi switch. that one just kept on flicking back to off. I tried to hold the switch for a while at the on position but it keeps on jumping back. Later on I called a friend who then bridged the 50 AMP of the house AC and something else (I can't decipher what the other switch does) to the main breaker, so now I do have electricity in all rooms but again only running on 50 AMP.

When I went back to my room and tried the my portable AC, it worked fine, I asked other room mate to turn on her AC in her room (portable also) and then about 1 minute later, breaker went back to off, the 15 AMP one that is), I turned the breaker back to on (15 amp) and electricity was restored, in every single room.

My question now is, what is wrong with the main one? shouldn't the 50 AMP also get "blown/messed up" if the 125 got already messed up if I used exactly as much electricity with the 50 AMP as with the 125 one?

I called electric company up, guy came, checked the equipment on their side, everything was good. He took a brief look at the breakers, and said that the 125 one needs to get replaced. Today, I got a new 125 one, plugged it swapped it with the old one, but still no electricity, the switch wouldn't stay at the ON position.

Now if there would be a short circuit, ground fault, or overload, then why does it work on the 50 AMP breaker? All devices that were plugged in before where plugged in on the 50 breaker andn are still working. If any of the above problems would occur, wouldn't one device that is plugged into the outlet not work anymore, showing that that outlet is defect??

Please help.
illiso
durka durka

Deleted: 3
Points ($): 6345

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote

AC consumes a whole lot of electricity and from the little knowledge that i know.
Your roomate's room and yours with the AC on consumes too much electricity for the hsoue fuse that powers both your rooms.

i dont know if it's possible to use a fuse that allows more power to go throught, but u could always try to plug the AC in another room other then the ones that shuts down, see if the power still run off.

if nothings turns off after u plug it in another room, then it was jsut overloaded. Gotta find a longer extention :P
RedEyeZ

Deleted: 1
Points ($): 775

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote

I keep clicking into this topic thinking it's about a new breaker/fuse product because it's in the "Latest Gadgets" section ><"
pr3ciouzboi

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEyeZ
I keep clicking into this topic thinking it's about a new breaker/fuse product because it's in the "Latest Gadgets" section ><"

sorry this is the closest thread section that I could find to post my thread.
afrojan
sure is sleepy

Deleted: 1
Points ($): 2565

Mood: meh...

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote

Ok you have to ask your friend exactly what he did...cause from what I've read it was smart to bridge the 50A AC breaker to the main breaker, but that is only should be used for temporary usage...in the long run that too would burn out...

best bet is that the breaker type you bought might not be exactly the right one or you could have actually a burnt wire...burnt wires are not really considered as a short or grounded just more of a cut line...that may be the reason why...cause for isolators and breakers currents must be passed through it for the switch to actually work...
....note remember most breakers may have high AMP ratings but in sense that means shit really...what you have to look for is Power rating (Watts) especially dealing with ACs

...and you mention about 2 ACs running...even if it is a portable one...in terms for us electrical dudes, thats just asking for trouble haha...that is a lot of power pumping out...from what i know most houses can usually really handle one main AC with compressor and all even if its a split AC...the compressor does most of the work...

now the question about the electrician is haha dodgy what a lazy bum...he didn't notice your friend's handiwork...big NEWB...thats why he thought it was all good

but I can't really be sure, since not sure what country you in...if you're in Australia I can help a lot more since thats where I'm at and thats the standards i run on...

if you have to, try and do a continuity run from your AC to the breaker or just even do it from your breaker line and see if you get a reading...cause it really does sound a whole lot like a cut/burnt line
Paup
Premium Member

Deleted: 0
Points ($): 2703

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote

This is as much as i can gather from the scenario so far -

AC and dehumidifier tripped a CB. This CB is NOT the Main Breaker
    When u reset the CB, it didn’t fix the problem -
    Did u switch the AC off before the reset?
    What is the rating of the CB? (15A?)
    There was a mention of cycling of breakers (on/off) of the whole system -
    Did you switched all the sub-circuits off before the Main Breaker and turned them back on in the reverse order? (Meaning when u turned them back on, u started at the Main Breaker?)
    If so, which sub-circuit was the last you turned on before the Main Breaker tripped again?
    What’s this about bridging? Does that mean the power for the AC was taken BEFORE the Main Breaker? That can explain why the house can now run on a 50A breaker and not the 125A(assumed) u previously had.

In the end Main Breakers are there to prevent overload. It keeps tripping most likely because u r overloading the circuit.

And from what i can gather, once u replaced ur Main Breaker (125A) ur AC and dehumidifier, turned on at the same time, are still tripping ur 15A CB. This the way the system is telling - don’t plug both on the same circuit.
pr3ciouzboi

[*] posted on 7-20-2010 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote

ok, problem has been restored. The reason why the new breaker didn't work was because i didn't snap it really hard to the on position but only pushed it lightly towards the on position (had a clicking sound though).

so yeh, learned something new throughout that past weekend. Thanks for all the replies guys. Rep +1 on everybody who was trying to help me
Digg! Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top