Your Ad Here

K master
Posting Freak

Deleted: 1
Rate: +
Points ($): 2977

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
PSN Outage Update

First I know there is an other post about the PSN being down and stuffs. However, I believe that this is WAY to important to just post this on the second page of that post. So I decided to make a new topic so that there is a higher chance of people reading this.

So in a big resume, after the attack of hackers on the PSN, Sony confirms that our personal information such as adress, password, credit card info, etc are not safe. The hackers have access to those stuffs now. Here is the quote from the Playstation Blog.
Quote:

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:
1. Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information. We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.
Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.
For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.
To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:
U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.
We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a “fraud alert” on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely, Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

And here is the link: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

Hmmmmm coffee :)
fobboyray
.raylessness.

Points ($): 1135

Mood: Let's Go Raptors!

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote

This was Sony's biggest fear....I wonder what type of compensation they plan to give to all the PSN user's for this breach and the downtime of the server..

On a positive note, at least this didn't happen during Evo Online.
ronny

Deleted: 0
Points ($): 85

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by fobboyray
This was Sony's biggest fear....I wonder what type of compensation they plan to give to all the PSN user's for this breach and the downtime of the server..

Probably nothing.

XBL ftw.
fobboyray
.raylessness.

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote

^I think so too. I wouldn't mind paying for the service, I used to be on XBL until I made the switch. It's the old saying you get what you pay for.
Illicit

Deleted: 5
Points ($): 10053

[*] posted on 4-27-2011 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
^I think so too. I wouldn't mind paying for the service, I used to be on XBL until I made the switch. It's the old saying you get what you pay for.

i paid top dollar for the special edition MVC3 package and their online netcode is still shit. how much do you think it'd cost to buy a game with non-crappy netplay?
afrojan
sure is sleepy

Points ($): 2565

Mood: meh...

[*] posted on 4-27-2011 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote

haha LIVE ftw indeed...fuck I just got my PS3 at the start of this year and this happens...man hope they really do fix this up and compensate cause seriously...starting to regret buying it now...
materia

Deleted: 3
Points ($): 1760

[*] posted on 4-27-2011 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote

oh wow really !? Even without the online the console still has better games that I want to play on then the 360...
fobboyray
.raylessness.

[*] posted on 4-27-2011 at 04:20 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Illicit
Quote:

i paid top dollar for the special edition MVC3 package and their online netcode is still shit. how much do you think it'd cost to buy a game with non-crappy netplay?

I feel the same way as I got the SE as well. That's a whole other story about MvC3 online play lol. I found that I was able to find games easier and there were less chances of "Unable to join game" when on XBL.
K master
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-27-2011 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote

I find that the XBL network is more constant and it has less problems. However, the PS3 out performs the xbox 360. Well, this outage was mainly caused by George Hotz. He was the one that jailbroke the PS3 and made custom firmwares and all those things possible. But if he did not do that, none of this would have happened. Also, I believe that he chose to do it on the PS3 was for the challenge. Because it took him a while after the PS3 got out for him to succeed. I believe that If he wanted to, he could have done it on the Xbox 360. However, there was not much use to do it on the 360 because it is not powerful enough to invest so much time to jailbreak it.

However, this is only my personal opinion about this, I do not want to start a discussion about which console is better. I own both of these consoles and even the Wii. All of these consoles have their own pros and cons.

PcReaperX23

Points ($): 981

Mood: Fishbowl

[*] posted on 4-27-2011 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote

^360 got hacked a LONGGGGG time ago.
They first hacked the DVD firmware in '06, and made advancements from that ever since. Not to mention JTAG.
Though it is only really for gaming and media. We can def do a lot more with PS3 and Linux etc.

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/PcFish.png
afrojan
sure is sleepy

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote

Linux haha why bring that up...
True each console has its pros and cons...usually one can tell when you own all types of consoles...
Man lost track of what consoles/handhelds I got haha...got all of them though...
K master
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by PcReaperX23
^360 got hacked a LONGGGGG time ago.
They first hacked the DVD firmware in '06, and made advancements from that ever since. Not to mention JTAG.
Though it is only really for gaming and media. We can def do a lot more with PS3 and Linux etc.

That is true, i totally forgot about JTAG. I know about the DVD firmware hack since mine is flashed too :) However I just forgot about JTAG. hahaha i take back what I said then. However, I believe JTAG is only to get Xbox Live content for free no?

K master
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote

Apparently, the PSN will back back up on May 3rd.

materia

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote

Good to know
Sony is currently being sued right now...like most Americans would do (drama-queens) lol
As a proud Psn-Ps3 loyal fan (or not...) I know that we the users should be compensated for the 2 weeks of being offline but we'll see...
afrojan
sure is sleepy

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote

They should if they wanna compensate us haha make all their DLCs free for a period of time...I'll be happy with that haha...or games like DC Universe where a subscription is paid, free for like a month haha...
K master
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote

It would be cool if they gave everyone the playstation plus for free for at least 3 months or something :)

moop

Deleted: 4
Points ($): 615

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote

PSN is a pretty decent service free of charge. It's like they're giving out free hamburgers where XBL is paid steak. Just because PSN's grill is down, why the fuck would they feel the need to give kids "compensation" for not getting free burgers for a few days?

Boohoo about personal information. It's not like everyone's personal info isn't already all over the net anyway. Anyone with any desire to find your stuff could easily find it anyway.
PhoenixInFlames

Deleted: 2
Points ($): 580

[*] posted on 4-30-2011 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by moop
PSN is a pretty decent service free of charge. It's like they're giving out free hamburgers where XBL is paid steak. Just because PSN's grill is down, why the fuck would they feel the need to give kids "compensation" for not getting free burgers for a few days?

Boohoo about personal information. It's not like everyone's personal info isn't already all over the net anyway. Anyone with any desire to find your stuff could easily find it anyway.

LOL if you actually think that a big company like Sony losing security of personal information such as passwords and credit card info isn't a big deal
materia

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote

Hey guys we will be getting Psn + for a month free
current Psn + users will get an additional month at no extra cost

also we will be getting some DLC and other content free of charge...

All users must add a new password upon going on Psn when it resume this week

Not bad I guess...
I don't game online much but it's nice to see my friends and trophies and stuff again :)
afrojan
sure is sleepy

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote

Yeah heard the news haha its close to what I predicted...1 month is still pretty good...at least I'll be able to play DC Universe again...

oh and to moop...if your credit card details were up for grabs pretty sure you'd be pissed as well...this is not just about personal info such as names or crap....that I don't give a fuck about...but my money...money that I bloody worked hard for...then I have every right to be fucking pissed...so if your someone who doesn't value hard earned cash then sure go ahead and say you think its all meaningless but for the rest of us we have our lives that depend on it...
Sendo
<3 volleyball

Points ($): 2693

Mood: no mood

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by materia
Hey guys we will be getting Psn + for a month free
current Psn + users will get an additional month at no extra cost

also we will be getting some DLC and other content free of charge...

All users must add a new password upon going on Psn when it resume this week

Not bad I guess...
I don't game online much but it's nice to see my friends and trophies and stuff again :)

i dont really go to the psn store or whatsoever but... what u mean getting psn + for a month free? what is that?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
R-Type
kaizoku ou

Deleted: 26
Points ($): 1944

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Sendo
i dont really go to the psn store or whatsoever but... what u mean getting psn + for a month free? what is that?

It's just a premium service.. you get access to free games, early access to betas, discounts, etc

r-type@outie.net

PSN ID: aznlunar
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
materia

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote

PSN is ONLINE again
life is back to normal lol :D
Digg! Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top